Study Visa

The study permit authorises foreign nationals to study at approved educational institutions in Canada.

Minimum requirements for obtaining a study permit

If your study programme in Canada is less than 6 months, you do not need a study permit.


  • Letter of Acceptance from the educational institution
  • Passport valid for the duration of your study programme, if possible.
  • No immigration-related criminal or criminal convictions.
  • Demonstrate to an immigration officer your links to your country of origin.
  • Demonstrate to an immigration officer your intention to leave Canada at the end of your studies.
  • Provide proof of sufficient financial resources to pay for your studies and living expenses in Canada.

The amount of money needed varies depending on the duration of the chosen programme and the number of members in your family.

If you do not meet the minimum requirements, your application will most likely be rejected. However, you may also be refused a visa on public health and safety grounds.

How do I apply for a study permit?

First you need a Letter of Acceptance from a Canadian educational institution. Only when you get it can you apply for a study permit.

What are the steps to apply for a study permit?

Start by creating a plan according to your final objective, your available budget and your professional profile. Then, you will need to obtain a Letter of Acceptance from your chosen educational institution.

Some of the documents required are:

  • Immigration Forms
  • Letter of Acceptance
  • Valid passport
  • Means test
  • Letter detailing your intentions
  • If the applicant is an unaccompanied minor, a Declaration of Custody is required.

Other documents may also be required depending on the country of origin or residence.

Deadlines also vary, so it is advisable to start several months in advance.

My educational consultant does not charge me. Why does Fernando Torres Immigration Consulting Services Inc. charge me for his services?

Educational consultants work on commission from the educational centres to which they refer you. They can guide you to obtain the study permit; but they are not impartial, as they charge the study centre to which they refer you and will only help you to obtain the study permit; but not the student visa, as they are not trained to do that. Generally you will need an authorised immigration consultant to process your study visa or you will have to do it on your own.

Which is better for me: a research consultant or an authorised immigration consultant?

It depends, if any institution can really meet your expectations you can start with an educational consultant, get the study permit and then look for an immigration consultant to apply for the student visa.

If you really want to look for a good program and the best educational institution according to your professional profile, contact an independent immigration consultant such as Fernando Torres Immigration Consulting Services Inc. and he will help you find the best program available according to your profile and then apply for the visa.

Overwhelmed and confused with so much information available?

What can I study in Canada?

English or French as a second language

Every year, thousands of families choose Canada to continue their education. If your goal is to improve your English or French skills, there is no better way than living in a native-speaking country. Immerse yourself in the Canadian way of life and learn from the best teachers and schools.

University pathway

If you want to enrol in a college or university in Canada, but have not yet met the English or French language requirements, the Pathway programme may be the answer for you. Pathway may be the answer for you.

This pathway is linked to a degree-level education programme and replaces the need for proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS.

Please note that each institution has its own programmes. Pathwayso rely on our advisors to guide you through the process of enrolling in a college or university of your choice.


Colleges offer higher education for vocational training programmes, which include various areas of study such as Business, Human Resources, Information Technology, Marketing, among others. They usually last between 8 months and 3 years and may include a period of internship (compulsory internship that allows the student to work full time). Upon graduation from a programme, you will have a certificate, diploma, associate degree or postgraduate diploma from a Canadian institution.

Colleges are an excellent option for those who want an affordable option for specialisation in their field, usually offered by private institutions. However, be aware that if you enrol at a private college, you may not be eligible for a Post-Study Work Permit (PGWP). (PGWP)


Universities in Canada offer a wide variety of programmes, focusing on both vocational and academic training. In addition to all the options offered by Canadian universities, there are also degree programmes, including bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees.

Degree programmes, such as bachelor's or master's degrees, have a duration of 2-4 years and tend to have stricter admission requirements. They are a great option for those who want to immigrate to Canada through study, because in most cases, the student will be eligible for a Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), whether graduating from a public or private institution. In addition, some provinces allow students to apply for permanent residence upon completion of a master's degree at one of their universities.

Do I need proof of English proficiency to obtain a study permit in Canada?

Most Canadian educational institutions will require you to take a language proficiency test. The score required depends on the programme of study and the educational institution of your choice.

Most schools accept tests such as TOEFL, DUOLINGO and IELTS (academic version) and some have their own language assessment tool.

Wouldyoulike to study with a medium or long term project in Canada? Give us a call. We have all the tools to help you in the medium and long term.

When does my study permit expire?

Normally 90 days after completion of your study programme or 90 days after receiving notification of programme completion.

Can I bring my family to Canada while I study?

Yes, it is possible to bring your nuclear family, i.e. your spouse or partner and your dependent children. Children can even get study permits while accompanying you in your studies.

Can I stay in Canada after finishing my studies?

Only if your study programme qualifies for a graduate work permit. To do so, you will need to extend your stay in Canada as a worker. This will allow you to obtain full-time or part-time employment, or even work as a freelancer.

Can my spouse work in Canada while I am studying?

Your spouse or common-law partner may work in Canada, as long as you (the international student) meet some of the following requirements:

  • Be enrolled in a DLI (Designated Learning Institution) in order to undertake a programme leading to the PGWP,
  • Be enrolled in a post-secondary institution, either in a public institution (any post-secondary programme lasting at least 6 months) or in a private degree-granting institution;
  • Your spouse is not inadmissible to Canada.

The expiry date of your spouse's work permit will coincide with the expiry date of your study permit.

Can my children study in a public school free of charge while I am studying in Canada?

Your children may be allowed to attend a public school in Canada free of charge if, as an international student, you meet certain requirements:

  • Be enrolled in a DLI (Designated Learning Institution).
  • Be enrolled in a post-secondary programme at a public institution or a private degree-granting institution


If you do not meet these criteria, your children may still be able to study in Canada, but they must attend a public school.

How long do I have to wait to reapply for a visa that has been refused?

You don't need to wait that long, unless time helps you to strengthen your application.

I would like to obtain permanent residence, can I get it after studying?

If your ultimate goal is to become a permanent resident, it is best to plan everything from the first day you decide to study. The process should be planned, as many educational institutions or programmes do not qualify for such benefits.

At Fernando Torres Immigration Consulting Services Inc. we work with you and your projects. Unfortunately not everyone provides you with information considering your plans. Don't be surprised. Working with us your projects will be carefully planned.

My study permit was refused, can I apply again?

Yes, you can reapply; however, if you submit it with the same information, the result is likely to be the same.

What is Co-op?

Some courses, both in public and private universities, may have a part of their programme dedicated to what we call "co-op".Co-op". In this period, students put into practice what they have learned under a full-time supervised work regime.

A Co-Op is an internship that is an integral part of your studies in Canada. During the work Co-Opit is possible to work full time.

What is PGWP?

The PGWP, or Graduate Work Permit, is a work authorization granted to certain international students after completing their study program in Canada. This is a great opportunity for students to remain and work in the country on a full-time basis after completing their studies. It also allows students to explore alternative avenues of immigration and stay in Canada.

How to apply for a PGWP?

To be eligible for the Postgraduate Work Permit (PGWP), the student must meet certain requirements:

  • The chosen institution must be on the government's list of Designated Institutions of Learning.
  • The school of choice must be a public, post-secondary or private degree-granting institution (e.g. Bachelor's or Master's).
  • The chosen programme must have a minimum duration of 8 months.
  • The chosen programme must be full-time.

In addition, an international student is NOT eligible for the PGWP if:

  • The programme chosen is a language course.
  • The student has already obtained this permission in the past.
  • The student completed more than half of the distance learning programme.

To apply for the PGWP and work legally in Canada after studies, it is important that the student's current permit is still valid. An international student has up to 180 days from the date of receipt of the letter of completion or transcript to apply for a graduate work permit.

How long is the PGWP valid for?

The Postgraduate Work Permit (PGWP) is valid for the duration of your studies. If your programme is between 8 months and 2 years, the PGWP will be equivalent to the duration of the programme. However, if the programme is 2 years or longer, the Postgraduate Work Permit will be valid for up to 3 years (maximum period).

However, it is important to note that the final decision on the application and the duration of the PGWP rests with the immigration officer assessing the case.

I am here to help you!

Contact me
Make an appointment

Contact me

Call us or fill in the form and we will contact you as soon as possible.