Express Entry

Express Entry is one of the most popular ways to immigrate to Canada. It is a federal immigration process that aims to bring skilled immigrants to the country, based on their skills and ability to contribute to Canada's economy.

How many points do I have?

Each of the above factors adds points to your immigration profile. Keep in mind, however, that this is not the only option for immigrating to Canada.

Age (maximum 100 points)

People between the ages of 20 and 29 score the highest on this selection criterion, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to immigrate to Canada after 30!
This is only one of the scoring factors, but there are others to consider as well.
Level of education (maximum 140 points)
The higher your academic level, the higher your score. For example, a person with a high school degree gets 28 points, while a person with a PhD gets 140 points on their Express Entry profile.
Language proficiency, English and/or French (max. 150 points)
You will get points on your Express Entry profile according to your scores in the English and/or French language proficiency test.

The tests accepted by the Canadian government are:

  • IELTS General and CELPIP (English)
  • TEF and TCF Canada (To prove your command of French)

Your level of language proficiency is assessed according to the Canadian Language Benchmark Level, also known as CLB.

According to the chosen test your score may vary, but each grade will be converted into a specific CLB. For example:

  • If you score at a pre-intermediate proficiency level, your CLB is most likely to be between 5 or 6.
  • If you score at an intermediate level of proficiency, your CLB is most likely to be 7.
  • If you score at an upper intermediate level of proficiency, your CLB is most likely to be 8.
  • If you score at an advanced level of proficiency, your CLB is most likely to be 9 or higher.

Did you know that we can help you find a suitable preparation course? We work with over 300 institutions in Canada and can guide you in choosing the best educational programme for your needs and budget.

Work experience outside Canada (maximum 50 points)
Your work experience in your home country (or anywhere else outside Canada) also counts for Express Entry points.

However, please note the following requirements:

  • You must have at least one continuous year of proven work experience, with a minimum of 30 hours per week (or 1,560 hours at a lower weekly load) in the last 10 years.
  • This work experience cannot have been unpaid work.
Canadian work experience (maximum 70 points)
If you have work experience in Canada you will be able to increase your Express Entry score. To access this benefit, you must:
  • Have worked for at least 1 year in Canada for a minimum of 30 hours per week or equivalent. This work experience cannot have been in unpaid work.
  • Work experience gained while studying in Canada is not considered.

Want to know if you can apply through Express Entry?

How do I immigrate to Canada with Express Entry?

The Express Entry system selects the best applicants from one of the following programmes:

Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSW)

It is the most popular among people wishing to immigrate to Canada. It is aimed at skilled workers with foreign work experience.

The federal skilled worker programme has six selection factors, namely:

  • Age
  • Educational level
  • Language proficiency (English and / or French)
  • Work experience
  • Adaptability
  • Job offer

To be eligible for this programme, you must:

  • Have a minimum of 1 year of continuous and qualified work experience within the last 10 years;
  • Have at least completed secondary school;
  • Meet the minimum level of language proficiency;
    •  For the main language (English or French), you must obtain at least the equivalent of CLB 7 in all skills;
    • For the secondary language (English or French), you must obtain at least the equivalent of CLB 5 in all skills.
  • To score 67 points in the eligibility table;
  • Have the funds available to support yourself and your family when you arrive in Canada.

Federal Skilled Trades Workers Programme (FSTW)

This immigration programme is aimed at certain skilled workers. To be eligible for this programme, you must:

  • Have at least two years of proven full-time work experience (or an equivalent amount of part-time work experience) in a qualifying occupation within the five years prior to application.

In addition, you must:

  • Have a full-time job offer for one year.
  • Have a certificate of qualification of specialisation in your occupation, issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.

You must also have at least CLB 5 in the language proficiency test and demonstrate to the Canadian government that you have funds to support yourself and your family.

Canadian experience (CEC)

This is an excellent option for those with qualifying work experience in Canada. To qualify, you must have at least 12 months of full-time work experience (or an equivalent amount of part-time work) in the country within the last three years.

In addition, you must meet the language levels required for your occupation.

Attention: Your work experience must have been obtained with an official work permit.

Provincial Nomination Programmes (PNP)

Some provinces select qualified candidates directly from the applicant pool, according to their specific economic needs.

If selected, you will receive a Notification of Interest in your profile giving you a few days to submit a complete application to the specific provincial government.

If the province decides to nominate you for Permanent Residence in Canada, you will be awarded 600 points on your profile, which ensures that you can submit an application to the federal government.

Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories and each province has its own economic and geographic needs. Provincial Nominee Programs are aimed at those who have the skills, education and professional experience to address the specific needs and contribute to the economy of a particular province or territory.

Each province has its own programmes that target certain groups of people, with its own set of rules and according to its own needs. Some options may be available frequently, while others may be open only from time to time.

Once you apply through this Programme you must demonstrate an intention to live and work in a specific province, with a lasting interest in contributing to its economy and society.

When your application is approved by a provincial government, you will receive a certificate of nomination. This will allow you to submit an application for final consideration by the Canadian federal government.


Online applications through Express Entry

If you meet the eligibility criteria for your chosen province or territory, you must submit your Express Entry profile and follow the instructions for the Provincial Nomination Program of your choice.

To apply for a Provincial Nominee Program through the Express Entry process, you should consider one of these options:

  • Contact the province or territory and apply for a nomination under the Express Entry pathway.
  • Create an Express Entry profile and display the provinces and territories you are interested in. Then, if a province or territory sends you a "notification of interest" to your account, you can contact them directly and apply to their programme, following their specific guidelines.

In both cases, if you are nominated, the province will allocate 600 points through your account that you can accept electronically. After accepting the allocated points, you will have enough points to be selected in the next Express Entry draw to submit your application online to IRCC.

Contact me

Call us or fill in the form and we will contact you as soon as possible.